Wednesday, March 4, 2009

3-Day Potty Training - Day 3

Day 3 update
EXHAUSTED
That is how both Allison & I felt at the end of the day today. This is very demanding on both the kid and the parent(s). Don't get me wrong... I'm glad we did it/are doing it but it is physically and emotionally draining for both of you.
Last night was strange. I woke her up again a few hours after bedtime and she successfully peed. I heard her rustling around 4:30 am and got her up and she peed again. Around 5:30 I heard her wimpering. I should have known better but I waited about 10 minutes until I heard another wimper. I went in and she must have just gone. As soon as I walked in she said "wet" and sure enough, her panties were soaked through.

After that, things seemed to be off to a decent start. We had a successful warning from her and trip to the bathroom. That was around 6:30 am. From then until, oh, 3ish it was a nightmare for all of us. It seemed like one accident after another. It really was only about 4 but after the great day we had on Day 2 I wasn't prepared for it. Every time it happened she went to "hide". She seemed to know that she shouldn't be going in her panties but she didn't really want to go on the potty. So she would go into another room and try to shut the door and immediately pee. One time she went into my bedroom closet. I was right there and got to her in about 3 seconds. It was already too late and she was soaked. She would go through this game of telling me "peepee", going into the bathroom with me and getting on the potty. But immediately she would want down. I would let her down (per the book - and to avoid a tantrum) and within 2-5 minutes she'd have an accident.

After one particularly frustrating incident I was at my wits end. I think DH could tell and he sent me upstairs to take a little me time. I really needed that. I went in the bathroom and cried. I just felt frustrated and I felt a little guilty that I was forcing this on her and I had a few doubts that maybe she really wasn't ready and I was just being mean. Basically anything and everything you can imagine thinking. It was definitely the low point for both of us.
After that we went in the backyard to play a bit. It was about 70 so I let her go out in her shirt, undies and shoes. We wrote with sidewalk chalk and then just wandered around the yard. Again she tried to hide to pee. She went by the fence and as I'm walking up behind her I see a full stream coming out of her undies. Ugh. Back instide to the potty and another pair of clean undies.
After that it was like a switch flipped. She didn't have a single accident between then and bedtime - about 4 hours. She went on the potty 5 or 6 times and never once complained. DH suggested a late-afternoon bath (him in charge, giving me a small break) instead of the usual bedtime and I think it refreshed us all. I noticed her bum and back of her thighs were a bit red and chapped. I have to assume it's from the vinyl on the potty seat. Probably not a problem on a normal day but she was probably on and off of it about 50 times this weekend. I lathered her up with some strong healing lotion after bath and it seemed to lighten up. Part of me wonders if that's why she was so off this morning. Watch out for that.

It was such a relief to get into a rhythym. I think the author was right on when she said that it really might take all.three.days for it to click. I think Allison had the concepts early but there is some breaking of the will that has to be done. Of course by that time I was so tired. I just wanted to lie down for a nap. And by 6:30 she was done. She normally isn't in bed until 7pm but at 6:20 we headed upstairs for bedtime routine and it was a fight to do everything (expect pee strangly enough). She didn't want to go upstairs, didn't want to brush her teeth, didn't want to be done brushing her teeth, didn't want to read stories, didn't want to put on pjs. She grabbed her nasty dirty shirt she'd been wearing all day from the hamper. This thing is filthy - covered in juice boxes and m&ms and mac&cheese and snot. But she INSISTED on wearing it to bed. So she's now soundly asleep in the nastiest shirt ever and her panties.

I did get her up about 2.5 hours after bed time when I heard a little rustle from her room. She was still dry and peed on the potty for me. We'll see how she does in the morning.

Hubby - he tried to participate a lot but she wasn't really having it. She just wanted mama, mama, mama all weekend. It was a nice boost to the ego but sure made it harder for me. I'm a little worried about that for daycare tomorrow.
Again, watch for vinyl-burn on the butt. Maybe that's just my kid/seat (sesame street seats with handles from Wal-mart)
Daycare - I'm planning to take her in tomorrow. Usually DH does drop off but I'm going to do it so I can get on the same page with DCP. luckily she's pretty flexible with us and follows our lead. I just want to make sure she knows what to look/listen for and follows the same basic idea. I'm planning on taking her plenty of extra pairs of pants and undies. I'm going to have her in easy on/off pants (elastic waist) or dresses all week. I'll let you know how that goes.

Wet undies count = 5 (including overnight from Day 2)

FINAL THOUGHTS/TIPS

Have plenty of undies on hand so you don't have to do laundry each night
Get DH involved if at all possible. Make sure he knows exactly how you are doing things
Stickers were a HUGE hit in the rewards department for us
Plan to be thoroughly exhausted at the end of 3 days
Wear clothes you don't mind getting peed on
If you are using the flushable kandoo wipes - get plenty. We went through an entire 50 pack + another half one this weekend. I'm sure we won't keep up that rate going forward but we used the potty A LOT.
Have a seat for every bathroom they might use. You don't want to worry about having to run to a farther bathroom.
Stay on their heels
Allison's warning signs (besides telling us): grabbing her crotch, stopping her activity, running to another room and shutting the door

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds exhausting and amazing. I'll have to remember to get tips from you once I'm going through it. :)

 
Web Analytics