But last night Jonathan got his very first taste of real food!
First food: avocado. Yep, avocado. Not rice cereal. Not oatmeal.
I mashed the avocado and mixed with a LOT of formula so it was soupy. Over the next week I'll make it a bit thicker each day. But I wanted to start with it pretty liquidy.
How did he like it? Not too bad.
Getting ready for that first bite. A bit unsure.
"Um, what on earth is THIS?"
"Okay, seriously, what IS this?"
"Let me just play with this in my mouth a bit."
"Let's do that AGAIN!"
Pretty much every bite went like this: Interest, yucky face, followed by smacking it a bit and swallowing happily.
Classic
Why avocado, you might ask? Well, I know the standard is to use cereal of some kind. But I have this theory that by making carbohydrates the first food for our children we set them up for a life of carb loving. I have no basis of this belief but I figure it can't hurt to start with a fruit/veg. I chose avocado because it's full of healthy fats, fairly mild in flavor, and can be mashed into baby food without any cooking or added water. Each of the other kids started with avocado as well. In fact, last night I was thinking that between the other two kids I probably didn't finish an entire box of rice cereal total. I only ever gave Allison a few servings of just cereal. Mostly I just used to to beef up the Stage 1 purees and make them heartier after they had them act of eating them down. And since we've waiting until 5 1/2+ months to start solids with our kids, I felt more comfortable going with something more "real."

2 comments:
Vinny loved avocado as a baby... he isn't such a fan now, but used to beg for it!
I love your banner by the way. So cute!
adorable-ness!! he really is such a cutie! will have to try avacado with mollie!
Post a Comment