This past weekend was the semi-annual consignment sale run by one of the local MOPS groups. It is a very well-run event and always has a great selection of items. I had factored into the budget that this month would be a bigger month for spending on the kids because they both needed a lot of new things for fall/winter. It’s a cash-only sale so I stopped by the ATM and took out $140 to spend there. I had some specific clothing needs in mind and also figured I would check out the toys to see if there were any good deals for Christmas gifts.
I ended up spending $125 ($1 of which was the admission charge) and walked out with 67 articles of clothing. That included a Christmas dress for Allison, pajamas, jeans, sweaters, long-sleeve shirts, a few skirts/jumpers for Allison and shoes for each of them to wear with their Halloween costumes. The toys didn’t really thrill me but I felt really good about my clothing purchases.
And the best part – if you look over their wardrobes you would think I spent thousands of dollars. I am blessed to live in a reasonably affluent area and the things that are given away as hand-me-downs are usually top quality, name brand items. And everything is in excellent condition.
At this age children grow out of things before they wear them out. So buying gently used makes excellent sense for us. And we sell our gently used things too. It’s a nice circle actually.
What about you? Are you open to bargain hunting for used children’s clothing?

1 comment:
ALL of my kids clothes are used, unless they were gifts. Up until size 5, I have bought all of Sean's clothes on eBay. Mostly because I hate shopping and you get such a good deal!
People sell these huge lots so you can get the entire summer or winter wardrobe (20 shirts, 15 shorts, sandals, bathing suits) in a given size for about $100. As you said, everything is very gently used and by the time they get through Andrew a lot of them are still okay. I hand them down to my nephew!!
Post a Comment