This week my grocery bill was $90. That was all groceries for 6 of the 7 meals plus a few other things we needed like milk, eggs, orange juice, extra fruit, yogurt & a few cleaning supplies. I did use a few coupons ($7.60 worth). We've decided that we will only do 6 of the meals each week because there is always at least one night when we just don't need something - we either eat out, have leftovers, or make-do with what's around. This is usually either my Weight Watchers night or Mr. Brown's softball night - the nights when one of us has the kids alone. This week's menu includes:
Taco Salad
baked tortilla chips & salsa
strawberries & bananas for dessert
(9 points)
Chunky Beef Barley Soup
Cornbread Muffins
(6 points)
Stewed Chicken & Lima Beans (yep, I'm one of the weird folks who likes Lima Beans)
Steamed Veggies
Peaches & Cream for dessert
(6 points)
Apple Glazed Pork Chops
Baked Sweet Potato
(8 points)
Mexican Skillet Dinner (like a homemade hamburger helper)
Caramel Nut Bananas for dessert
(8 points)
Italian-Dijon Tilapia
Steamed Veggies
(8 points)
Last night we had the Mexican Skillet. I was a bit skeptical because I've never really liked Hamburger Helper meals and this seemed a bit too close to that. But it was surprisingly good. And easy. I made the entire dinner in about 20 minutes. Even Mr. Brown gave it a "pretty good" rating.
We've decided that there are ways to keep it low points for me (following the recipe) and then add a bit for him or the kids to make it more up their alley. For example, last night I added salsa (0 points) on top of mine & Mr. Brown's. Mr. Brown & the kids also got cheese on top and Mr. Brown ate his with a flour tortilla. Even Peter gobbled it up. He really seemed to love it (of course, he loves almost everything these days). Allison didn't really touch it but I think she wasn't hungry because she wouldn't eat her banana either - and if she won't eat fruit I know she really isn't hungry.
Change – The Ultimate Organizing Test
-
A lot has been happening in my family’s life lately. We have already and
continue to make some big changes. In the fall I left my corporate job. It
was a n...
9 years ago

1 comment:
We're trying to come up with healthy budget friendly meals, I might have to check out this site.
Thanks
Post a Comment